REGULATIONS FOR THE 2019 “CARTOONS ON THE BAY” FESTIVAL
Rai Com S.p.A. (hereinafter Rai Com) organises the International Cross-Media and Children’s Television Festival, Cartoons on the Bay (hereinafter Cartoons on the Bay or the Festival) to support and showcase the current landscape, developments and new trends in the sector of media and entertainment dedicated to children.
- VENUE, DATES, PROMOTERS
The 23rd edition of Cartoons on the Bay – 2019 will take place from 11 to 13 April 2019 in Turin; the Festival is promoted by RAI-Radiotelevisione italiana S.p.A. (hereinafter RAI) and organised by Rai Com.
- The President of Cartoons on the Bay is the Chief Executive Officer of Rai Com[ii];
- The Artistic Director, appointed by Rai Com, arranges, coordinates and determines the guidelines for the Festival;
- The Editorial Committee is responsible for helping the Artistic Director to run the Festival;
- The Pre-Selection Jury assists the Artistic Director in choosing the works, from among those listed in the Competition section/page on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website, which will be admitted to the Official Selection, choosing the In-Competition works (Nomination) and Out-Of-Competition works (International Showcase);
- The International Jury, composed of 5 members, all professional experts with proven experience in the animation world, gives the Pulcinella Awards to the In-Competition works in the Official Selection;
- The International Feature Film Jury, composed of 5 members, all professional experts with proven experience in the animation world, gives the Pulcinella Awards to the Best In-Competition Feature Film and the special mentions;
The Artistic Director has absolute discretion to choose the members of both the Editorial Committee and the Juries, who, at their sole discretion, shall carry out the duties and activities within their remits with respect to the work selection and the prize winners; s/he shall hand out any other prizes envisaged in these Regulations in accordance with the procedures laid down herein.
- PARTICIPATION RULES
1) Participation is restricted to animated works from any country produced during the years 2017, 2018 and 2019.
2) Entering works for Cartoons on the Bay is free and requires online registration of the work on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the Competition section during the period from 18 October 2018 until 4 February 2019 and the sending of the relevant materials to the Festival Offices within the deadlines and according to the methods stipulated in these Regulations. It should be understood that the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website may indicate any extensions for the registration and/or sending of materials; it is not possible to withdraw a registered work after the final deadline for registration.
3) Only works in English or with English subtitles will be admitted to the competition (except for works where there is no dialogue).
4) The sending of the materials is the exclusive responsibility of the party which registers the work; materials sent to the Festival Offices will not be returned; the use of these materials, including the relevant content, for the purposes of the Festival, is to be understood as free of charge; therefore, no fees of any kind are envisaged for such use.
5) Works already registered for previous editions of the Festival will not be considered, except for subsequent seasons of Television Series and works previously entered for another category which have undergone different developments (it is the responsibility of the participant to indicate this when registering the work). Works that have already been candidates in the past in the In-Competition (Nomination) section may only enter the Official Selection in the Out-Of-Competition (International Showcase) section and, in such cases, it is the responsibility of the participant to indicate this when registering the work.
6) Registering a work does not guarantee an Accreditation for the Festival. Accreditations may be requested free of charge from the Festival website.
7) It should be understood that the party who registers the work is exclusively responsible for the work’s registration for and participation in the Festival; the said party shall indemnify and guarantee the organisers and promoters of the Festival in relation to any claim and/or dispute raised by third parties in this regard.
8) In the event that reasons of a technical or organisational nature should prevent, in full or in part, the Festival from being carried out according to the procedures and within the time frames laid down in these Regulations, Rai Com shall take the appropriate steps by providing notification through the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website, which will also contain all information and updates concerning the Festival.
9) Any requests for clarifications or further information may be sent to the Festival Offices by e-mail to the address email@example.com, or through the official Facebook page of the Festival, once established.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION
The Official Selection includes the In-Competition (Nomination) and Out-Of-Competition (International Showcase) works; in both sections, the works are subdivided by Category of Competition.
5.1 IN-COMPETITION (NOMINATION) WORKS
In-Competition (Nomination) works are candidates for the Pulcinella Awards, given during the Festival by the International Jury. A maximum of 5 works may be entered for each category in this section (except for the Feature Films category, where the number of Nomination works may vary, at the discretion of the Artistic Director).
For each In-Competition (NOMINATION) work, the Festival envisages:
- showing of the work within the professional programme on one of the Festival days;
- public showing of the work for non-commercial ends during the Festival in relation to the Feature Films category and, at the sole discretion of the Artistic Director, for any other categories;
- online publication of the work information sheet (accompanied by images, credits and synopsis) on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the specific sections;
- inclusion of the work information sheet (as per the previous point) in the official Festival catalogue in paper, digital and/or online form on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website (Official Festival Catalogue);
- inclusion of the work production and distribution companies in the Official Festival Catalogue;
- free entry of the works into the Festival’s Digital Video Library, which may be viewed by all professionals at the Festival (the Video Library service will be active for the full duration of the Festival);
- issuing of a certificate of participation, which will be sent after the end of the Festival in a digital or paper version;
- possible inclusion of the work in the Festival Show Reel for use, including for promotional purposes, by Rai Com and the RAI Group in other contexts within the reference sector;
- the option for the owners of the work to use the wording and/or logo of the Festival (and/or, for prize winners, the title of the prize awarded) in their promotional activities according to the procedures stipulated on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website.
The Festival reserves the right to vary the visibility given to the works based on the organisational requirements of the specific edition.
5.2 OUT-OF-COMPETITION WORKS (INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE)
Out-Of-Competition (International Showcase) works provide an overview of cultural, technological and industrial trends in the sector in the various geographical areas of the planet, with a particular focus on the most innovative projects.
For each Out-Of-Competition (INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE) work, the Festival envisages:
- inclusion of the work information sheet (accompanied by images, credits and synopsis) in the Official Festival Catalogue;
- inclusion of the production and distribution companies in the Official Festival Catalogue;
- free entry of the work into the Festival’s Digital Video Library, which may be viewed by all professionals at the event (the Video Library service will be active for the full duration of the Festival).
The Festival reserves the right to vary the visibility given to the works based on the organisational requirements of the specific edition.
- COMPETITION CATEGORIES
In-Competition (Nomination) works and Out-Of-Competition (International Showcase) works are subdivided into the following Competition Categories:
- Preschool TV Series (up to 6 years)
- Kids TV Series (7-11 years)
- Teens TV Series (12+)
- Interactive Multimedia Works
- Live Action/Hybrid TV Series
- TV Series Pilots
- Short Films
- Feature Films
The Festival reserves the right to move a work into a different category after registration, when it sees fit.
6.1 ANIMATED TELEVISION SERIES
The Categories reserved for animated Television Series are subdivided by target audience:
Preschool – up to 6 years
Kids – from 7 to 11 years
Teens – 12+ (≥ 12 years)
The following instructions must be followed:
– Only one episode is requested for each TV series, to be chosen by the proposing company.
– For series which last for less than 1 minute, three episodes should be sent.
– Pilots and zero episodes of animated TV series must be registered in the TV Series Pilots category.
6.2 INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA WORKS
This category includes all Interactive Multimedia Works produced for fixed and mobile consoles that satisfy the following PEGI (Pan European Game Information) classification requirements: PEGI 3, PEGI 7, PEGI 12, PEGI 16. However, at the absolute discretion of the Artistic Director, in agreement with the Pre-Selection Jury, works with a PEGI 18 classification may also be admitted to the competition.
6.3. LIVE ACTION/HYBRID TV SERIES
This category includes all television series for children produced exclusively or partly with live footage.
6.4 TV SERIES PILOTS
Pilots and zero episodes of animated TV series which represent an exhaustive narrative summary with the technical, artistic and content-related characteristics of the series which the creators intend to develop must be registered in the TV Series Pilots category and not the other categories subdivided by target audience.
6.5. SHORT FILMS
Animated short films with the technical, artistic and narrative characteristics for a potential (and intended) television programme are invited to participate in this category. Its purpose is to promote the inclusion of animated short films in broadcasters’ schedules.
6.6 FEATURE FILMS
Animated feature films with the following technical, artistic and narrative characteristics are invited to participate in this category: animated feature films with a minimum length of 40 minutes; characters created using a frame-by-frame technique; works, 75% of the total length of which is composed of characters and animation (the Motion Capture technique alone will not be deemed valid).
- AWARDS AND SPECIAL MENTIONS
7.1 PULCINELLA AWARDS
The International Jury awards the following prizes to In-Competition (Nomination) works by Category:
- Best Preschool TV Series Pulcinella Award (up to 6 years)
- Best Kids TV Series Pulcinella Award (7-11 years)
- Best Teens TV Series Pulcinella Award 12+ (≥ 12 years)
- Best Interactive Multimedia Work Pulcinella Award
- Best Live Action/Hybrid TV Series Pulcinella Award
- Best TV Series Pilot Pulcinella Award
- Best Short Film Pulcinella Award
The International Feature Films Jury awards the following prize to In-Competition works for the Feature Films Category:
- Best Feature Film Pulcinella Award
And the following special mentions for In-Competition works in the Feature Films category:
- Best Screenplay
- Best Director
- Best Animation
- Best Soundtrack
The Artistic Director, in agreement with the Editorial Committee, has the option of awarding the following Special Prizes:
- Career Pulcinella Awards
- Studio of the Year Pulcinella Awards
- Pulcinella Special Awards
The Artistic Director, in cooperation with UNICEF, will award the following Special Prize:
Special Prize for the Best Social Work, chosen from among all the in-competition categories.
- REGISTRATION AND SENDING THE MATERIALS
8.1 First phase – Online registration
In order to enrol for the Festival, the work must be registered online, at the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the “Competition” section no later than 4 February 2019 (the site may indicate extensions for registration). At the end of the registration procedure, a confirmation e-mail will be sent; if you do not receive an e-mail, please contact the Festival Offices at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8.2 Second phase – Activation of personal account
The participant will receive a further, subsequent e-mail (which will be sent on average one week after completion of the first phase). This will contain a username and password (credentials) to access the portal at https://fileportal.rai.it and complete the next phase. These credentials are strictly personal. If you do not receive this e-mail, please contact us at the following address: email@example.com.
8.3 Third phase – Sending the materials
All materials must be sent, in a single submission, no later than 11 February 2019 (the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website may indicate any extensions for sending the materials). All materials must be labelled with the title of the work in English and the “registration number” (Web ID) given at the end of the registration procedure (e.g. 121_ANNE’S ADVENTURES), according to the following procedure:
A folder must be sent, using the portal at https://fileportal.rai.it, containing the following materials:
- the video of the work in its entirety, in English or with English subtitles and free from any watermark, with the following specifications (the trailer must be sent for the interactive multimedia works category):
codec h264 mp4 container, resolution 1080p bitrate 5 – 8Mbps, alternatively
codec h264 mp4 container, resolution 720p bitrate 4 – 6 Mpbs
- 3 images 300dpi resolution 1920×1080 pixel, images that represent the work, free from any logos or titles
- signed registration confirmation e-mail (entry form)
With specific reference to the Interactive Multimedia Works category, in addition to the foregoing, a copy of the game for each platform available (in the version on the market) must be sent.
With specific reference to the Feature Films category, after pre-selection, only the participants selected for the Competition will be asked to send (at their own expense) the film in its entirety, in English or with English subtitles, in DCP format with CRU, unencrypted or with KDM open for the entire duration of the Festival. The KDM must be sent by e-mail, with the subject line containing the English title of the work and the “registration number” (Web ID) given at the end of the registration procedure (e.g. 121_ANNE’S ADVENTURES), to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org; the film must not have a watermark; failure to send the work will result in its exclusion from the competition.
For any issues when following the procedure for uploading the contents, please contact us at the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Solely if there is good reason for so doing and subject to approval from the Festival offices, the aforementioned digital materials may be sent through the post. This procedure requires the same materials, with the same technical specifications, to be sent on hard disk/pen drive by the deadline indicated above (as shown by the postage mark) to the following address:
RAI COM S.p.A.
Cartoons on the Bay
Via Umberto Novaro 18
00195 Roma Italy
The characteristics indicated above must be verified thoroughly before the sending of the materials. Materials sent to the Festival will not be returned. In the case of material that is incomplete or does not comply with the requirements indicated above, the Festival reserves the right to exclude the work from the selection process.
Should the material sent be, for any reason, incomplete, different from the specifications indicated in these Regulations, damaged and/or unreadable, the work will not be considered registered for the Competition, unless the participant, acting on instructions from the Festival organisers, takes steps to remedy this. Therefore, the greatest care should be exercised when wrapping, packaging and shipping the materials.
It should be understood that the candidate is responsible for the successful uploading of the files or the arrival of any materials sent through the post; therefore, for digital submissions, it is recommended that a suitable connection be used, with a bandwidth no lower than 20 Mbs.
- RESULTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS
The Festival shall report the results of the Official Selection process online in the specific section of the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website (or, alternatively, an e-mail may be sent to the proposing party). For In-Competition (Nomination) works, the sending of further material may be requested (including multimedia files).
- RIGHTS AND GUARANTEES
Works submitted for Cartoons on the Bay will be handled with confidentiality. Anyone registering a work online and sending material to the Festival organisers and thus participating in the Festival:
- authorises Rai Com and the RAI Group to use the work registered in the various Festival initiatives and using their own resources, during or outside of the Festival;
- authorises Rai Com and the RAI Group to use the registered work to promote the Festival and subsequent editions in any context;
- authorises Rai Com and the RAI Group to use extracts of the registered work for press or promotional purposes at the Festival and subsequent editions;
- guarantees that s/he is authorised to use the work and that, therefore, participation in the Festival and any use by Rai Com and the RAI Group within the context of the Festival and the associated initiatives will not infringe the rights of third parties, expressly indemnifying Rai Com and the RAI Group against any damage or claim, without exception, that may arise, including as regards the title of the work;
- guarantees, from the perspective of both civil and criminal law, that the content and form of the work are legal;
- guarantees that s/he is the creator of the work and all its constituent elements or, in any event, the holder of all usage rights pertaining to it, as envisaged in these Regulations, indemnifying Rai Com and the RAI Group against any third-party claim in this regard;
- acknowledges that, when a work is part of the Official Selection, it may be presented by the organisers in various forms, including extracts (e.g. in clips or trailers), during the Festival (inter alia: during the professional programme; during viewing in the Film and/or Video Library; through public showing for non-commercial ends) and subsequent editions. In particular, the work may be used for: showings to accredited professionals and/or a more general public during the Festival; for other promotional/publicity uses pertaining to and connected with the Festival (and subsequent editions), in accordance with these Regulations;
- authorises use in the Film and/or Video Library of the work in competition in the official selection and/or selected in the showcase section during the Festival (and subsequent editions), including for viewing by the international buyers and distributors in attendance;
- authorises use of the work – and all relevant materials and information supplied to the Festival at the time of registration (inter alia: trailers, digital videos, photos, materials and miscellaneous data/information) – for information and marketing materials produced in relation to the Festival (and subsequent editions), e.g. in bilingual publications (ITA / ENG) concerning the Festival; to this end, the materials of the work may be translated and/or redesigned, including as regards length, depending on the communication requirements.
Registering a work for the Festival and participating in Cartoons on the Bay:
- entails full acceptance of these Regulations and complete compliance with all the instructions contained herein and any supplementary stipulations on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website, as well as the dealings and absolute discretion of the Representatives;
- implies familiarity with and acceptance of the general ethical principles of honesty and compliance with the law, pluralism, professionalism, impartiality, integrity, confidentiality, transparency, diligence, loyalty and good faith, as well as the content of the Code of Ethics of the RAI Group (hereinafter the “Code of Ethics”) and the Organisation, Management and Control Model (hereinafter the “Model”) of RAI-Radiotelevisione italiana S.p.A. (hereinafter RAI) and Rai Com S.p.A. (hereinafter Rai Com), adopted pursuant to Italian Legislative Decree no. 231/2001, as well as the RAI and Rai Com Corruption Prevention Plan, having read and fully understood them, both in their entirety and as individual elements, with these documents available electronically on the following websites:
- Implies consent to the processing of personal data by Rai Com and/or other companies within the RAI Group, according to the terms laid down in these Regulations, pursuant to articles 13 and 14 of Regulation (EU) no. 679/2016 and article 13 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196/2003, as amended by Italian Legislative Decree no. 101 of 10 August 2018.
NOTICE PURSUANT TO ARTICLES 13 AND 14 OF REGULATION (EU) No. 679/2016 AND ARTICLE 13 OF ITALIAN LEGISLATIVE DECREE No. 196/2003, AS SUBSEQUENTLY AMENDED AND SUPPLEMENTED
Rai Com S.p.A. (hereinafter, for reasons of brevity, Rai Com), in its capacity as data controller, hereby provides notification that the personal data provided directly by the data subjects at the time of registration for the Festival, the sending of the material and/or taking part in the Festival will be used to enable possible participation in the Festival – as governed by the provisions in these Regulations – and ensure eligibility for any prize that may be awarded following such participation. The personal data, conferral of which is optional but necessary for the aforementioned purposes, will be processed manually and/or electronically. Refusal to submit data will prevent participation in the Festival. Data subjects may exercise the rights envisaged in articles 15 et seq. of Regulation (EU) 679/2016 and Italian Legislative Decree no. 196/2003, including obtaining the deletion, updating, rectification and integration of the data or to objecting to the processing thereof, on legitimate grounds. These rights may be exercised by contacting Rai Com (Via Umberto Novaro, 18 – 00195 Roma) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Due to changes undergone in the organizational structure within Rai Com, its Chief Executive Officer replaces the President in the role of President of Cartoons on the Bay.