“CARTOONS ON THE BAY” FESTIVAL REGULATIONS – 2018
Rai Com S.p.A. (henceforth Rai Com) organises the International Cross-Media Animation and Children’s Television Festival Cartoons on the Bay (henceforth the “Cartoons on the Bay” or “Festival”) in order to support and provide an overview of evolution and new trends in the Media and Entertainment Sector for Children and Young People.
- LOCATION, DATES, PROMOTERS
The 22nd edition of Cartoons on the Bay – 2018 will take place from the 12th to the 14th of April 2018 in Turin. The Festival is sponsored by RAI-Radiotelevisione Italiana Spa (henceforth RAI) and is organised by Rai Com.
- MAIN FESTIVAL REPRESENTATIVES
- The President of Cartoons on the Bay is the Chairman of Rai Com.
- The Artistic Director, as appointed by Rai Com, oversees, coordinates and sets the Festival’s guidelines.
- The Editorial Committee has been set up to assist the Artistic Director in the production of the Festival.
- The Pre-selection Jury will support the Artistic Director in the selection of the products that will be included in the Official Selection, establishing the products that are in Competition (Nomination) and Non-Competing products (International Panorama).
- The International Jury, made up of five members selected among professionals with a proven record in the world of animation, awards the Pulcinella Awards to the products in Competition in the Official Selection.
- The International Jury for the Animated Feature Films category, made up of five members selected among professionals with a proven record in the world of animation, awards the Pulcinella Awards for the Best Animated Feature Films product in Competition and the Special Mentions for this category.
The Artistic Director, based on his/her own unquestionable judgement, chooses the members of both the Editorial Committee and the Juries which, in turn, based on their own unquestionable judgement, carry out the tasks and activities assigned to them with reference to the selection of the works and allocation of awards; The Artist Director he/she confers in the manner prescribed in these Regulations any other Prizes provided by the same.
- RULES FOR PARTICIPATION
- Participation is restricted to animation works of any nationality made during the course of 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Enrolment of the works in the Cartoons on the Bay competition is free of charge and involves registering the work on-line on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the “Submission” section between 7 November 2017 and 7 February 2018 while the materials must be sent to the Festival offices according to the terms and conditions set out in these Regulations.
- Only works in English or with English subtitles will be allowed to compete (with the exception of works that do not contain dialogues and works in the Interactive Media Category).
- The materials sent to the Festival offices shall not be returned.
- No works that have previously been enrolled for participation in previous editions of the Festival will be taken into consideration with the exception of episodes of ongoing television series and works that were previously enrolled in a different category and have then been developed along different lines (in this case, it is the participant’s responsibility to provide specific indications at the time of enrolment). Works previously presented for selection in the competition section (Nomination) can only apply for Official selection in the Non Competing section (International Panorama) and, in this case, it is the applicant’s responsibility to specify this at the time of enrolment.
- The enrolment of the work does not guarantee Festival Accreditation. Accreditation is free of charge and may be applied for via the Festival’s website.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION
The Official Selection includes in Competition works (Nomination) and Non Competing works (International Panorama); in both sections the works are divided into Competition Categories.
5.1 WORKS IN COMPETITION (NOMINATION)
The works in Competition (Nomination) compete for the Pulcinella Awards, assigned during the Festival by the International Jury. A Maximum of five works per category can be included in this section.
For works selected for the in Competition (NOMINATION) section, the Festival guarantees:
- Screening of the work during the Festival.
- works in the Animated Feature Films category are guaranteed a public screening for non-commercial purposes, while it will be up to the Artistic Director, according to his own unquestionable judgement, to schedule public screenings for works in other categories;
- on-line publication of an information sheet for the works (including images, credits and a summary) on the Festival www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the ‘Official Selection’ section and in the ‘Competition’ section;
- inclusion of the work’s information sheet (as detailed in the previous point) in the Festival’s Official Catalogue;
- inclusion of the work’s production and distribution companies in the Festival’s Official Catalogue;
- free inclusion of the works in the Festival’s Digital Video Library accessible to all professionals attending the Festival (the Video Library service will be available during the entire Festival);
- the presentation of a Participation Diploma, which will be sent on after the end of the Festival in digital or hard-copy form;
- if advance authorisation is granted by the work rights holders who have signed the film up for the Festival, the work may be included in the Festival’s Show-reel which may then be used even for promotional purposes by Rai Com and the Rai Group in other contexts related to the same sector;
- the right of the owners of the works to use the nomination and/or the Festival logo (and/or for prize winners, the title of the prize awarded) for inclusion in the owner’s own promotional activities according to the procedures specified on the Festival site www.cartoonsbay.rai.it .
The Festival reserves the right to vary the visibility given to the works based on the organisational requirements of the current edition of the Festival.
5.2 WORKS NOT IN COMPETITION (INTERNATIONAL PANORAMA)
The Non Competing products (International Panorama) provide an overview of the prevailing cultural, technological and industrial trends in the sector in the various geographical areas of the planet, with particular attention paid to the most innovative proposals.
For all Non Competing works (INTERNATIONAL PANORAMA) the Festival guarantees visibility as follows:
- inclusion of the work’s information sheet (along with images, credits and a summary) in the Festival’s Official Catalogue;
- inclusion of the production and distribution companies in the Festival’s Official Catalogue;
- free inclusion of the work in the Festival’s Digital Video Library accessible to all professionals attending the event (the Video Library service will be available during the entire Festival);
The Festival reserves the right to vary the visibility given to the works based on the organisational requirements of the current edition of the Festival.
- COMPETITION CATEGORIES
The works in Competition (Nomination) and Non Competing products (INTERNATIONAL PANORAMA) are subdivided into the following Competition Categories:
- Preschool TV Series (up to age 6 )
- Kids TV Series (for 7 to 11 year olds)
- Teens TV Series (for over 12s)
- Interactive Media
- Live Action / Hybrid TV Series
- TV Series Pilots
- Short Films
- Animated Feature Films
- VR Cartoons
The Festival reserves the right to assign the work to a different category following registration if it sees fit to do so.
6.1 ANIMATED CARTOON TELEVISION SERIES
The Animated Television Series Categories are divided by target audience: Preschool –up to age 6 Kids – for 7 to 11 year olds Teens – over 12 (≥ 12 )
The following indications must be complied with:
– The applicant company must only present one episode of choice for each television series.
– For Series with episodes lasting under 1’ please send three episodes.
– Pilots and Number Zero episodes of animated television series must be enrolled in the TV Series Pilot Category.
6.2 INTERACTIVE MEDIA
This category includes all Interactive Multimedia Works made for fixed and mobile consoles that comply with the following PEGI (Pan European Game Information) classification requirements: PEGI 3, PEGI 7, PEGI 12, PEGI 16. However, based on the Artistic Director’s unquestionable judgement, and in agreement with the Pre-selection jury, works may also be admitted into competition with a PEGI 18 classification.
6.3. LIVE ACTION / HYBRID TELEVISION SERIES
This category includes all television series for children and youngsters that are exclusively or partially created using live filming techniques.
6.4 TV SERIES PILOTS
The Pilots and Number 0 Animated TV Series’ episodes that provide a complete narrative overview and indications on the technical, artistic and content aspects of the series one intends to produce must necessarily be enrolled in the TV Series Pilot category and not in the other categories bracketed by target audience.
6.5. SHORT FILMS
Animated short fILMS are invited to participate providing they have the required technical, artistic and narrative qualities to be considered for, and hopefully secure, television broadcasting. The purpose of this category is to help animated shorts find slots in broadcasters’ programming.
6.6 ANIMATED FEATURE FILMS
Animated Feature Films called to participate should have the following technical, artistic and narrative characteristics: an animated feature film lasting at least 40 minutes; with characters created using a frame-by-frame technique: works comprising a minimum of characters and Animation not below 75% of the entire duration of the work (the use of Motion Capture techniques alone will not be acceptable).
6.7 VR CARTOONS
Works for virtual reality created with any animation technique that can be viewed on any device or visor: shorts, series, motion comics, commercials and video clips that combine animation and VR viewing on an industrial or experimental level.
- AWARDS AND SPECIAL MENTIONS
7.1 PULCINELLA AWARDS
The International Jury awards the following prizes to the works in Competition (Nomination) by Category:
- Pulcinella Award Best Preschool TV Series (up to age 6 )
- Pulcinella Award Best Kids TV Series (for 7 to 11 year-olds)
- Pulcinella Award Best Teens TV Series 12+ (over 12)
- Pulcinella Award Best Interactive Media
- Pulcinella Award Best Live Action / Hybrid TV Series
- Pulcinella Award Best TV Series Pilot
- Pulcinella Award Best Short Film
- Pulcinella Award Best VR Cartoon
The International Animation Feature Film Jury awards the following prize to the works in Competition (Nomination) for the Animated Feature Film category:
- Pulcinella Award Best Animated Feature Film
And the following special mentions for in Competition works in the Animated Feature Films Category:
- Best Screenplay
- Best Director
- Best Animation
- Best Sound Track
The Artistic Director, in agreement with the members of the Editorial Committee, has the right to award the following Special Prizes:
- Pulcinella Career Award
- Pulcinella Award for Studio of the Year
- Pulcinella Award for the Guest Country
- Pulcinella Special Awards
The Artistic Director, in collaboration with UNICEF, will also award the following Special Prize:
a Special Prize for the Best Product with a Social Message selected among all competing categories.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR REGISTRATION AND SHIPPING OF MATERIALS
8.1 ONLINE REGISTRATION
To enrol in the Festival one must register the product on-line, on the www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website in the “Submission” section by and not beyond 7 February 2018. Once registration has been completed an e-mail will be sent Confirming Registration; if this e-mail is not received please contact the Festival Offices at the address firstname.lastname@example.org before sending any materials.
8.2 DELIVERY OF THE MATERIALS
To complete the enrolment one must send all the materials listed below by 7 February 2018 (with the postal stamp date acting as proof of delivery if sent by post):
- REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION – so called ENTRY FORM – SIGNED (SENT TO THE PERSON ENROLLING THE WORK AT THE END OF THE ONLINE REGISTRATION WHICH SHALL PROVIDE AN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER – WEB ID-); PLEASE FILL IN ALL FIELDS OF THE FORM TO ENSURE THAT THE WORK PARTICIPATES IN THE COMPETITION;
- THREE IMAGES (with RESOLUTION NOT BELOW 300 DPI AND SIZE NO SMALLER THAN 1,200 X 1,200 PIXELS) THAT ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE WORK WITHOUT ANY LOGOS OR CREDITS;
- THE VIDEO OF THE WORK IN ITS ENTIRETY (FOR VIDEOGAMES PLEASE SEND A SHOWREEL AND A COPY OF THE GAME).
8.2.1. DELIVERY PROCEDURE
The materials may be sent:
- by traditional post;
- by digital upload (zip file) to https://fileportal.rai.it
Materials sent using any other procedure than those identified above will not be taken into consideration.
All image files (all materials) must be identified with the “registration number” (WEB ID as indicated in the work registration confirmation e-mail) and the English title of the work:
If for any reason the materials sent are incomplete, non-compliant with Regulation specifications, damaged and/or not legible, the work will be considered as not enrolled and registered in the competition unless the participant, having been informed by the Festival organisation, takes steps to rectify the situation.
18.104.22.168. Delivery by traditional post:
The following materials must be sent:
- The Registration Confirmation form, printed and signed (sent by the person who registered the work at the end of the on-line registration procedure);
- One CD-ROM/Pen Drive containing at least three images (with resolution not below 300 dpi) representative of the series, without logos or credits. All image files (all materials) must be identified with the “registration number” (WEB ID as indicated in the work registration confirmation e-mail) and the English title of the work:
- One DVD/Pen drive containing the entire work in video II PAL or free zone video format. For television series please send just No. 1 episode that is considered representative of the series as a whole. For television series with episodes lasting under 1’ (1 minute) please send 3 episodes. Only works in the English language or with English language subtitles will be taken into consideration.
22.214.171.124. In order to send files via digital upload to https://fileportal.rai.it
Create a folder named with the work registration number (the WEB ID provided in the Registration Confirmation e-mail) and the English title of the work (e.g.. “121_ANNE’S ADVENTURES”).
The folder must be zipped and contain:
- the video file of the work in HD format (compliant with the technical specifications provided below);
- at least three images with resolution not below 300 dpi representative of the series as a whole, without logos or credits (it is also required that each image file contain the registration number and the work’s English title in the file name);
- A signed and scanned copy of the Registration Confirmation form (which will have been sent to the person registering the work at the end of the on-line registration procedure);
The folder (zipped and named with the registration number and English title) must be loaded onto https://fileportal.rai.it using the following credentials:
Username: UsrToon1 – Password: r2yx1kU0 (MENU’ top left: “File Carica File” (“Upload File”)
If you encounter any anomalies or technical hitches when uploading to the Fileportal, please contact the address email@example.com.
It is understood that the final responsibility for the correct uploading rests with the candidate.
It is recommended that a minimum band width of 10MB/s be used for the transfer.
The Festival organisation reserves the right – if necessary – to provide further guidelines on its www.cartoonsbay.rai.it website with more detailed specifications regarding content delivery and uploading procedures onto the https://fileportal.rai.it portal.
126.96.36.199. For Interactive Media:
The following materials must be sent:
- A printed and signed copy of the Confirmation Registration form;
- One CD-ROM/Pen Drive containing at least three images (with resolution not below 300 dpi) representative of the series, without logos or credits (images sent by e-mail will not be taken into consideration);
- One DVD/Pen drive containing a videogame show reel lasting no more than 5’ (five minutes) in video II PAL or free zone video format.
- One copy of the videogame for each of the available platforms (in each version sold).
8.3 SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE PREPARATION OF THE MATERIAL
DVDs and CDs must be sent inside a hard case. For works sent by traditional post, only DVDs encoded with regional area “0” or Area “2” Standard PAL 576i (625 lines/50hz). Neither Data DVDs nor NTSC DVDs will be taken into consideration. If the company intends to enrol more than one product, it must nevertheless send no. 1 DVD per video enrolled. DVDs containing more than one work will not be taken into consideration. Nor will any consideration be given to works that have not been registered on-line.
For video materials the following technical specifications must be complied with:
– 1080p h264 bitrate 8Mbps file type.mp4
– 720p h264 bitrate 5 – 6Mbps file type.mp4
– 480p h264 bitrate 2.5 – 4Mbps file type.mp4
With specific reference to the Animated Feature Films category, the competition participants must provide the materials of the works on DCP or any other technology suitable for large screen projection at the time of registering the work.
Before sending the materials please check the following:
- The technical specifications required for the videos
- The presence of English language subtitles (if the dialogue is not in the English language)
- When sending images please verify the resolution in advance, and ensure that it is not below 300 dpi and the size is no smaller than 1,200 x 1,200 pixels.
- The images must not contain logos or titles (credits).
The materials sent to the Festival shall not be returned. If the material is incomplete the Festival reserves the right to exclude the product from the selection process. Material sent on a Beta support shall not be taken into consideration.
8.4 INDICATIONS FOR SHIPPING
8.4.1 Delivery by traditional post will have to be shipped no later than 7 February 2018 (the postal stamp will provide proof of the date of shipping) using a courier service or parcel post charged to the sender, on penalty of exclusion from the Competition. No shipments will be accepted that are charged to the receiver. The materials must be sent on a USB Pen Drive Support or a DVD/DC Rom in a single shipment to the following address
Rai Com S.p.A.
CARTOONS ON THE BAY
Via Umberto Novaro, 18 – 00195 Roma (Italy)
8.4.2 The delivery by uploading on https://fileportal.rai.it must take place by 7 February 2018. No video files will be accepted if uploaded/downloaded using other systems. No enrolments will be accepted if the materials are incorrectly or incompletely labelled.
8.5 SELECTIONS RESULTS
The Festival shall communicate the outcome of the pre-selection procedure and of the Official Selection on-line in the dedicated section of the Festival website www.cartoonsbay.rai.it (or alternatively it may send an e-mail to the applicant). For works included in the Competition (Nomination) additional material may be requested, which could include multimedia products.
- RIGHTS AND GUARANTEES
The works screened at Cartoons on the Bay shall be treated as confidential. By enrolling the work on-line and sending the material to the Festival organisation and then taking part in the Festival, those who make the application:
- authorise Rai Com and the RAI Group to use the works included in the Official Selection both during and outside the Festival to promote the Festival’s Official Selection and its subsequent editions;
- authorise Rai Com and the Rai Group to use extracts of the competing works for journalistic and promotional purposes for the current Festival and any subsequent editions;
- guarantee that they are legitimately entitled to use the work and that therefore their participation in the Festival and the possible use by Rai Com and the Rai Group during the Festival and connected initiatives will not lead to a violation of third party rights, and expressly releases Rai Com and the Rai Group from any damage or claim, none excepted, that they may incur even in relation to the work’s title;
- also guarantee, from a civil and penal standpoint, that the content and form of the work are perfectly legal;
- guarantee that they are the author or in any case the owner of all exploitation rights of the work and its constituent parts, as prescribed by these Regulations, and consequently release Rai Com and the Rai Group from any possible claim by third parties in this regard;
- acknowledge that as the work is included in the Official Selection it may be presented by the Festival organisers in its various forms, even through extracts, and relative re-elaborations (i.e. clips or trailers) during the Festival (including: during the professional programme; during the video library viewing; through public screenings for non-commercial purposes) and its subsequent editions. In particular, the work may be screened before the professionals accredited to the Festival or for a broader audience during the Festival; for other promotional and advertising purposes inherent and connected to the Festival (and its subsequent editions) as prescribed by these Regulations.
- authorise the screening of works competing in the official selection or selected for the showcase section in the Video Library during the Festival (and its subsequent editions); this will also make the works accessible to the international buyers and distributors in attendance;
- authorise the use of the work – and of all related materials and information supplied to the Festival at the time of registration (including: trailers, digital videos, photos, materials and sundry data/information) – for inclusion in the information and marketing materials created for the Festival (and its subsequent editions) for example in bilingual publications (ITA/ENG) related to the Festival; to this end the work’s materials may be translated and or edited even in terms of their length if communication requirements may deem it necessary.
Registration of the work at the Festival and participation in “Cartoons on the Bay”:
- implies the complete acceptance of these regulations and total compliance with all the indications they contain and any integrations that may be published on the Festival’s website www.cartoonsbay.rai.it as well as the actions and unquestionable judgement of the main festival representatives;
- implies being conversant and compliant with the general ethical principles of honesty and observance of the law, pluralism, professional conduct, impartiality, correctness, confidentiality, transparency, diligence, loyalty and good faith as well as the content of the Rai Group’s Code of Ethics (henceforth “Code of Ethics”) and of the Organisational, Management and Control Model (henceforth “Model”) of Rai Radiotelevisione Italia Spa (henceforth RAI) and Rai Com S.p.A. (henceforth Rai Com), adopted pursuant to Italian Legislative Decree No. 231/2001, which have been clearly, fully and accurately assessed, on the whole and in their constituent parts thanks to their availability in electronic format on the following internet sites:
- It implies granting consent to the processing of personal data, pursuant to art. 13 of Italian Law Decree no.196/2003 by Rai Com and the RAI Group as foreseen by the Regulations.
INFORMATIONAL DISCLOSURE PURSUANT TO ART. 13 OF ITALIAN LEGISLATIVE DECREE NO. 196/2003 AND ITS SUBSEQUENT AMENDMENTS AND SUPPLEMENTS
(PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION CODE):
“Rai Com S.p.A. (henceforth, for the sake of brevity, “Rai Com”), the data controller of the processing, informs that the personal data supplied directly by the interested parties at the time of enrolling in the Festival, delivering the materials and attending the Festival shall be used to enable them to take part in the Festival – as regulated by the provisions of these Regulations – and to allow them to receive the prize that may be awarded to them as a result of their participation. The personal data, the conferral of which is optional but necessary in order to achieve the above purpose, will be processed manually and/or with electronic means. The failure to confer the data shall make it impossible to take part in the Festival. The interested parties may exercise the rights foreseen by Art. 7 of Italian Legislative Decree No. 196/2003 which include the right to obtain the cancellation, updating, rectification and integration of the data, as well as the right to oppose their processing for legitimate reasons. These rights may be exercised by contacting Rai Com (Via Umberto Novaro, 18 – 00195 Rome) or the persons in charge of the processing, the pro-tempore head of the Special Projects area c/o Sede Rai Com in Via Umberto Novaro, 18 – 00195 Rome)».
The Festival reserves the right to exclude works from the Festival that have not been enrolled in compliance with the deadlines and procedures foreseen by these regulations. The materials sent to the Festival shall not be returned.
In the event that technical or organisational reasons make it impossible for the Festival to take place according to the terms and conditions foreseen by these regulations, Rai Com shall take appropriate measures which will be published on the Festival’s site www.cartoonsbay.rai.it which will also contain all the information and updates on the Festival itself.
Any requests for clarifications or for additional information may be made to the Festival Offices via e-mail at the address firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Festival’s official Facebook page, if created.